University of California Irvine sub-logo Transportation and Distribution Services logo
UCI and TDS Logo
Transportation and Distribution Services offices are open and essential on-campus services are being provided.

Frequently Asked Questions



Q: What are my options and where can I purchase my parking permit?
A: UCI faculty, staff, or students may log into their myCommute portal to review your options and purchase your parking permit.[Top]

Q: When should I purchase my parking permit?
A: Purchase your parking permit prior to parking on campus. [Top]

Q: I am returning to campus for a quick errand. Are there short-term permit options for me?
A: Yes. Short-term permits by the hour, day, or week may be purchased at permit dispensers or staffed kiosks. [Top]

Q: Do visitors need a permit?
A: Yes. Anyone who works on, attends, or visits the campus must purchase and display a valid permit at all times. Visitor permits may be purchased at the information kiosks located at the parking structures or at any of the permit dispensers in various parking lots throughout campus. See permit dispenser locations. [Top]

Q: What do I do if my permit is lost?
A: You can report the permit lost and replace it for $15 by emailing If you locate the permit and return the original permit to our office within 30 days, you may be refunded the replacement transaction fee. [Top]

Q: My permit has been stolen. Can I obtain a replacement permit?
A: If your permit is stolen, please file a police report with the UCI Police Department or in the city where the incident occurred. Then, email with a copy of the police report number to obtain a replacement permit at no additional charge. [Top]

Q: How do I get a refund for my parking permit?
A: Prorated refunds are issued for unused months remaining on the permit. There is a $15 transaction fee to cancel an unused permit that was paid for by credit card. Permits obtained via payroll deduction must cancelled on or before the 10th of the month to avoid the monthly charge. To request a refund for your parking permit, you may cancel your permit on your myCommute account or email

Q: I own an electric vehicle. Do I need a parking permit when charging my vehicle?
A: Yes, a valid UCI permit is required when charging your electric vehicle at designated stalls. For visitors or those without valid UCI permits, hourly permits may be purchased at all kiosks and automated dispensers [Top]


Q: How do I obtain a disabled person parking placard?
A: Apply online with the California Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) to obtain a valid state-issued disabled placard. The DMV is the sole authorizing agency for disabled parking placards. [Top]

Q: Where can I find accessible parking spaces?
A: To find disabled person parking stall locations and accessible pathways from parking lots to the nearest building, please refer to our interactive map. [Top]

Q: How are accessible parking spaces allocated?
A: The number and type of accessible spaces are determined in accordance with Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) guidelines and specifications. Accessible parking spaces at UCI adhere to ADA guidelines and are located nearest accessible building entrances whenever conditions allow. [Top]

Q: What mobility assistance is provided?
A: UCI Disability & Services Center provides services for disabled individuals. For large events such as Commencement, UCI Transportation provides special assistance from parking facilities for those individuals with accessibility needs. [Top]

Q: Where can I park overnight on campus?
A: On-campus residents may purchase their permits by logging into myCommute. Short term overnight parking is available for purchase at all available permit dispensers. [Top]

Q: I do not have AAA service, do you offer any motorist assistance services?
A: UCI's motorist assistance, or VIP Service, is provided on the main campus at no charge to all UCI affiliates. Services include jumpstarts, tire inflation, tire sealant, vehicle unlock, and use of a gas can. Bike Assist and an Emergency Ride Home Program are also available. All VIP Services are available between 7am-11pm by calling 949-824-VIPS (8477). [Top]

UCI Transportation and Distribution Services
200 Public Services Building
Irvine, CA 92697-4525
Phone: (949) 824-7275      Fax: (949) 824-2387
Office Hours: Monday - Friday 7:30 AM - 4:00 PM
Policies and Procedures | Privacy and Legal Notice | Contact Webmaster | UCI Home | DFA | Submit Feedback